Homelessness doesn’t take a break during a pandemic. As housing sites for several vulnerable populations including homeless seniors, young mothers and LGBTQ young adults, we cannot close. We are their home.
These individuals and families are resilient but they need the same items we’ve all needed as we shelter in place. However, they face additional challenges due to the trauma of homelessness. Together, we’re providing the tools and care for them to heal and thrive.
Thank you for your continued support during this uncertain time. We wish you and your loved ones health and safety.
How you can help
During COVID-19, the fastest way to help our residents (formerly homeless young mothers and their children, older adults and LGBTQ young adults) is to make a gift at westendres.org/donate.
Many friends of West End Residences have asked about other ways to help. The types of items you have needed at home also will be needed by our residents. There will be an ongoing need for:
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant wipes and sprays
- Disposable gloves
- Cloth face coverings
- Other cleaning and sanitary supplies (e.g. bleach, paper towels, tissues, trash bags)
- Toiletries (e.g. deodorant, soap)
- Nonperishable food (e.g. canned tuna, soup, crackers, cereal, peanut butter)
- Bottled water
- Disposable diapers and baby formula for young families
- While residents shelter in place, they need activities to stimulate their minds and spirits. Older adults would benefit from items like puzzles and large-print word searches. Young children would benefit from fun, educational and easy-to-clean toys. To minimize packaging, consider placing a larger order with a group of friends.
We are grateful for the many local community members who have reached out to help. They include people who have offered to sew cloth face coverings and sent small shipments of hygiene items and nonperishable food. In particular, we are grateful for a volunteer group of Upper West Side moms and friends dubbed the Mom Squad, who have made organized efforts to provide hygiene items, nonperishable food, and a once-a-week meal delivery for the young families and older adults at our Intergenerational Residence.
West End Residences populations:
- West End Intergenerational Residence: 40 older adults, 54 young mothers and 92 children under age 7 (average age is 21 months)
- True Colors Supportive Housing: 60 young adults
For the safety of our residents, please ship items to: 483 West End Avenue, New York, NY 10024.
Please check back for updates. Our ability to respond to specific supporter requests is limited at this time. The best way to contact us is to email volunteer[AT]westendres[DOT]org.
Even with social distancing, we continue to be stronger together. Thank you for your compassion.